Oct. 25, 2013 – Cross Triangle Greenway Ride

Friday, October 25th – Cross Triangle Bike ride at noon
Online Registration closes Thursday 10/24 at noon!

A 47-mile cross triangle ride from Durham to Raleigh on the East Coast Greenway. Thanks to great recent greenway progress, over 90% of the ride will be off-road! Two rest stops will be provided plus a reception at the end. An 18-mile option, starting at Godbold Park in Cary, is also available.

Detailed ride schedule:
10:15am – For those interested, a shuttle will take riders from Raleigh to the Durham start. Pick will be at the Nature Research Center at NC Museum of Science (121 W Jones St, Raleigh, NC 27601)
11am Check-in starts at American Tobacco’s Diamond View Park in downtown Durham
11:30am – Welcome speakers
12:00 – Main ride begins from American Tobacco Campus

First rest area: White Oak Church Rd
Second rest area:  Godbold Park, Cary

*Note*: For those not doing the full ride, the other option is to start at the 2nd rest area at Godbold Park. We will check those riders in as well. Riders should arrive at 2:30pm.

5:45pm – Reception begins at Nature Research Center at NC Museum of Natural Sciences
6pm  - Welcome speakers
6:45pm – Shuttle will take riders back to Durham
8pm – Reception ends

Route map including individual mile markers.

Landmark mile markers:

7 = ECGA headquarters and I-40 bridge
16-17 = White Oak Church Rd trailhead (Wake County Parks)
25-26 = Bond Park
29 = Godbold Park
32 = Lake Crabtree
40-41 = NC Museum of Art
42-43 = Meredith College
44 = NC State main campus
46.66 = NC Museum of Natural Sciences

Note for riders: Most of the route is paved though some stretches are packed stone dust (so most people can enjoy the ride on wider road or hybrid tires).  Don’t expect to average high speeds, as we’ll need to respect walkers, runners, and other greenway users that Friday. This is a group ride (not a race!) and will not be timed.

Online Registration closes Thursday 10/24 at noon!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Oct. 25, 2013 – Cross Triangle Greenway Ride

1. John Benziger says:

I live in Chapel Hill and would like to park near the Diamond View Park. Please provide some places to park for the duration of the ride. I see decks at off Julian Carr st and at the DPAC. I’m catching the shuttle back from Raleigh.

2. James Lee says:

Is there parking at the morning Shuttle from Raleigh?

3. dennis says:

Hi John,
    Yes, I’ll be sending a final logistics email out as well.
    There is a surface lot between Wilmington and Blount Streets accessible via Jones st. This is right next to where the bus shuttle will be picking up (in a bus parking lot right next to it).

4. Chris says:

I just saw on the ATT website that the I-40 bridge will not be open in time for the ride due to issues with the safety fencing. Is there a plan for going around it or are you getting special permission to cross for the ride?

5. mike says:

Can I expect that the shuttle buses are able to accomodate bikes too?

6. Mark says:

Is it possible to sign up the day of the ride? Looks like I have missed the dead line for the on-line registration.

7. Mark says:

Thank you. What time does registration close the day of the event? I plan to be there close to the start of the race and I want to make sure I can be registered for the event as well as purchase a ride from Raleigh back to Durham.

Thanks!

• dennis says:

To guarantee all that, I would get there at 11:20. Though it is possible that shuttle back is sold out. Morning shuttle leaves at 10am in Raleigh and isn’t sold out.

8. Tim says:

Great ride!! Thanks to Debbie, Niles, Dennis and the ECGA crew for putting this together. Sign me up for next year.

Tim